How to Apply Geostress in Predefined Field for Slope

Status
Not open for further replies.

SKSA

Civil/Environmental
Feb 28, 2024
CA
Hi there,
I want to do some slope stability analysis through Abaqus Explicit. So, first step I want to see that the slope is stable in existing condition. For this, I want to apply geostress from predefined field. When I apply geostress then run the analysis, it shows high kinetic energy. But it shouldn’t have any kinetic energy in this step. Another problem arose is that the stress distribution is not comply with real mechanics. Can you please give your valuable suggestion in this regard? I used Mohr Coulomb model.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Does it have to be Abaqus/Explicit ? Abaqus/Standard has special features for such simulations, including geostatic steps. And you won't have to worry about inertial forces causing peaks in kinetic energy (explicit always solves for dynamic equilibrium).

If it's supposed to be quasi-static then you should make sure that the load is applied slowly enough - a long enough time period and the use of smooth step amplitude for prescribed conditions can help with that.

Though I tried to use smooth step and applied gravity load slowly. But my concern is that, in this process I am unable to apply lateral earth pressure coefficient which is available only in predefined field.

It might be a good idea to use the import functionality in this case - apply the initial stress in Abaqus/Standard analysis and then import the deformed mesh with the material state to Abaqus/Explicit analysis with the actual loading that you want to use for slope stability check.

Wow that's a nice idea. Unfortunately I don't know how to do it. Can you please give some suggestion how to do this things?

It's described in detail in the documentation chapter Analysis --> Analysis Techniques --> Analysis Continuation Techniques --> Importing and Transferring Results --> About Transferring Results between Abaqus Analyses and more specifically (with input file templates) in the chapter Transferring Results between Abaqus/Explicit and Abaqus/Standard. The workflow is different depending on whether you are using Abaqus/CAE or input files directly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back