Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to apply in Abaqus Standard a contact pair, hard contact, frictionless between two surfaces

Status
Not open for further replies.

georgino

Mechanical
May 13, 2022
DE
I have a curved structure, in the first step i apply a moment or rotation to bend it open flat so that it comes in contact with a flat structure. In the second i want to apply this contact pair. I would have to apply a Tie constraint but this is only possible in the initial step. Any idea how i can solve this?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Unfortunately it does not work, can that be a Abaqus version. I am using version 2018
I set the contact pair as follow:
** INTERACTION PROPERTIES
*Surface Interaction, name=IntProp-1
*Friction, rough
*Surface Behavior, no separation, pressure-overclosure=HARD
** INTERACTIONS
** Interaction: Int-1
*Contact Pair, interaction=IntProp-1, type=SURFACE TO SURFACE
s_Surf-13, m_Surf-13
In the first step i deactivate it:
** INTERACTIONS
*Model Change, type=CONTACT PAIR, remove
s_Surf-13, m_Surf-13
In the second step i activate it:
** INTERACTIONS
*Model Change, type=CONTACT PAIR, add
s_Surf-13, m_Surf-13

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=1bbfc613-de6b-4d1d-a7cf-1481aaab3686&file=run05.inp
What do you mean when you say that it doesn't work ? The analysis doesn't complete and you get some errors or the results are different than expected ?

I submitted your analysis in Abaqus 2022 and contact seems to be working correctly - in the second step CSTATUS shows that the surfaces are bonded.

Dear FEA way, Thank you for your feedback. Did you make any modifications to the model? If so, would you be king to send the model back to me?

I only removed the *Depvar and *User Material keywords and replaced them with some arbitrary elastic material definition to be able to run this analysis without UMAT. But I haven't changed anything regarding contact. If you can, update your Abaqus version to the newest one (2022).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back