Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

How to assign different material property to each element of a part in Ansys workbench/Mechanical?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PPOLA

Student
Oct 11, 2023
US
Hello ,

I am trying to assign different material to each element of the part in Ansys , currently I am able to assign a material to whole part but how to assign different material property to each element in Ansys ?

Please help me on this .

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Material ID is often part of the property ID. we used to use the Element ID as the Property ID for ease of tracking things (before you could see everything on a screen). Not sure how to assign numbers for (presumably) a billizon elements ... probably there's some API or Python coding that would create all these lines ?

"Hoffen wir mal, dass alles gut geht !"
General Paulus, Nov 1942, outside Stalingrad after the launch of Operation Uranus.

It is a solid 3D body which I have created , after that I have generated mesh onto the solid body. Now I want to assign a different material property to each element which has been generated in that instead of giving whole body as one material.

of course you can assign a material ID to a single element, and you could use the element ID; here's how I see it working ...

Element 1234 would have some nodal connectivity and a property ID, say 1234.
Because you're using solid elements the "property ID" could be a material ID, since there is no geometry to be defined.
So define material ID 1234 with what ever properties you want.

Generating these properties seems like the difficult, labourious, part. To generate the file, I'd probably use something like excel (since I don't know python, or API, or the such). It would be easy to export the analysis model (the FEA input deck), which could be a simple as a set of nodes and a set of elements. copy the set of elements and update (you only want the element number). I don't know how you're generating propertied, but one way would be CG distance from a datum plane, and you could calc the CG from the 4 nodes on the element.

"Hoffen wir mal, dass alles gut geht !"
General Paulus, Nov 1942, outside Stalingrad after the launch of Operation Uranus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back