Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to assign seismic load using UBC 97 to ETABS 18 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

engrmarks

Structural
Nov 2, 2019
PH
Hi. I'm fairly new to the industry of structural engineering. Our local code adapts UBC 97 for seismic parameters. The problem is I'm not familiar with ASCE-7 and ETABS 18 don't have UBC 97 for its seismic parameters. How can I assign seismic parameter to ETABS using UBC 97? Is there any workaround here? What are the differences between ASCE-7 and UBC 97?

Thank you all!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Does the new version have ibc? You can convert your ubc coefficients into ibc coefficients. There is a correlation between ubc and ibc seismic coefficients.

Euphoria is when you learn something new.

Thank you retired13. Actually I was using UBC in ETABS earlier version and i was little familiar with that. But the program removed in latest version (ETABS v18.1). ASCE7 -16 provision has been included instead UBC 97. As our local region (middle east) adapts UBC 97 for seismic parameters, i am just confused to proceed further.

Still, the link u shared has provisions for ASCE provisions too. I will go through that.

Akshikas,

I feel your pain been jammed in between code wars. However, I sense ASCE has a upper hand as it is closely aligned with IBC. Does your region recognize/accept IBC? Maybe it is something to be discussed regionally.

The linked paper has a table lists historical UBC seismic base shear equations (1927-1997), and IBC 2000. Hope it helps in some way.
Link

Dear retired13, Thank you for link.
Actually, the program removed IBC also. The codes available within this program is shown in snapshot below.

Etabs-_RS_function_cryzad.png

Etabs-Seis_load_anrmfl.png

I have gone through the Table 3-3 of UFC 3-310-03A, 1st March 2005 (Unified facilities criteria) for S1 and Ss value.
But am not sure whether to go with is or not.

ufc_ddgvpv.png

The following is the announcement made by local authority through media.

uae_reg_wc3bbc.png

Simultaneously, new seismic code by local authority also released.
Link

If you are struggle with local seismic coefficients, this tool provide by USGS may help. It refers UFC13 table F-3 for values. Link

Dear Zakir1418,
I got it from the link (Seismic tool design world wide) above posted by retired13. It worked fine earlier, now I could not get in to that website again. I really do not know why.
You can use the value that are shown in snapshot that i posted. Hope it helps.

Try troubleshoot. Or contact them.

Troubleshooting Tips
If the application fails to load
A failure to load would most likely result from the use of an incompatible browser. The USGS maintains its web tools for compatibility with the current version of each major browser, plus the previous edition (e.g., Internet Explorer 11 and 10, respectively). If the problem persists, please contact us at wwdesignmaps@usgs.gov and we can work through the problem.

If you use Google Chrome and the application fails to load, please [follow these steps] (
Error Messages
"No point data exist for this location" – Unfortunately none of the sources referenced by this application provides seismic design parameter values for the specified site. This is most likely to be true in sparsely populated areas (e.g., desert or tundra), in ocean areas, and near the poles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back