Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to attract good engineers 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

agthompson

Mechanical
Nov 26, 2002
US
My company has less than 90 employees, 15 of who are in engineers or engineering support. Products consist of both standard and custom machinery. Our HR person has been inquiring about what makes a company appealing to work for as an engineer and how best to attract good talent. My answer to the first one is lots of interesting problems to work on, the tools and resources to work on them, and reasonable compensation, e.g. pay, benefits and a family friendly work week. What answer would you give her?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

"How to attract good engineers"

1. Pay a lot of money.
2. Job security.
3. #2 is more important than #1.
4. Challenging young engineers with smart, honest managers with enough experience and success who can teach them.
5. #2 is more important than #1.
6. Offer promotions based on achievement.
7. Pay for advanced education.
8. Pay me 150% of what I make now and I will leave.
9. #2 is more important than #8.
10. If you're hiring engineers, don't make them budget analysts. If you do that, I will leave. And don't think I won't ask how long the other folks have been around and what it is they really do for a living.

harrisj,
Even worse is a Company that has Design run by un-qualified Project "Managers" who were "failed draughtsmen" and migrated to the Project Dept.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back