Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to avoid drama at work? 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

GalileoG

Structural
Feb 17, 2007
CA
Gosh. I'm too exhausted to write up a lengthy post, folks, but I'm up to here with drama at work.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

How to avoid?

Shave your head, sew NRA patches onto your shirts, carry a side arm in a holster that is clearly visible; get lots of tattos and body piercings; stop brushing your teeth, washing, and using deodorant; and go "ballistic" when someone even talks to you. They'll leave you alone then!

Good luck,
Latexman

Become a contract engineer, no one wants to get a guy that costs that amount of money involved in the basic dramas (politics) of day to day business.....

Failing that, a nice long stick with a few nails in it will keep most people away

Kevin

“It is a mathematical fact that fifty percent of all doctors graduate in the bottom half of their class." ~Author Unknown

"If two wrongs don't make a right, try three." ~Author Unknown

I did a stint as a contractor when I was a couple of years out of school. Next to the money, the next best thing was that as an outsider I was not subject to the drama/office politics.

calguy07 said:
i don't think many engineering offices have a Pam though..or any female for that matter, lol!

Hey, I missed that one...

Funny, every one I've worked with has had at least one. I just can't figure it out.... In fact I don't think I've ever worked at a more than one-engineer workplace where there wasn't more than one.

SLH

Our local drama entered a new phase yesterday. A full-on half hour shouting match between the players. All this under the nose of the "boss", who stared into his computer screen through it all, his neck getting shorter and shorter.

This comedy is turning into a farce. Next it'll be a tragedy. Luckily we don't condone guns here.

- Steve

You could try. "Hey guys!!! Can you take it outside? I'm trying to work here." Although not knowing your situation this could come with it's own set of problems for you. Can you talk to your boss? Does your boss have a boss? Is there an HR department?

Good Luck

Eddie

How tragic it becomes when you have drama about you at work. it would drive me insane to be involved in an office where drama is played out each and every day. Its tiresome and demeaning, so much so that id take a stand against it and let the perpretrators know that it isnt appreciated.

Private issues stay private - dont dump them on those that work with you at work.

Work issues well if they are bitching about work drama then this needs to eb acted upon - is there an HR department or someone able to get it in the open and weed out the dramatics? more often or not its the look at me types the ones that like to be in the spotlight and crave attention. Just ensure that you can give em the wrong attention, that often works and gets the issues resolved.

Some one used to like screaming the place down - made a scene and generally made it uncomfortable for others - so a microphone hooked up to the pc one day and sound recorder working on the pc. Recorded it saved it and then when the dramatics were finished played it back over the PC at full volume. That got her attention, tried to say it was harassment, said that what she was subjecting us to was harassment in its own right. Told her that I had a copy of that on the PC and would email the sound file to everyone if she continued to display those characteristics in the office. Good thing was that she crapped on about the boss and generall made a meal of everyone that she diding like and all the issues that she was having in life. mostly work - people who had cotton on to her I suppose. But it stopped from that day on, and the others in the office all said that they had copies and would send it out if she started again.

I've always been one who can mediate in these situations. My plan for the next bust up is to suggest they book a meeting room for their argument so the rest of us can work ... and maybe invite short-necked boss too.

- Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back