Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to build the geometry-mesh associativity?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hongbird

Mechanical
May 31, 2003
CN
The meshing file obtained from Hypermesh is imported in Ansys. Due to appling load on the areas is more convenient than on the elements for the analysis, the geometry file (igs) is imported in Ansys as well.
Now my qustions is how to build geometry-mesh associativity so that the load on the areas can be transfered to the elements?
Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi, crazyfan
Thank you for your recommendation. I am sorry I don't know the keywords of "sftran" and "dtran". Could you explain it in detail?
Thanks and regards.

"dtran",can transfers solid model DOF constraints to the finite element model.

and the "sftran" can transfer the solid model surface loads to the finite element model.

you can find them the the help documentation of ansys.
so you can just apply the press and DOF constraints on solid
model,then use these commands to finish the work

Thank you very much.
I know the load can be transfered easily from geometry to elements (or nodes) if geometry and mesh is connective.
So I want to associate geometry and mesh of the model in ANSYS, but how to do it? Because meshing file (prp) is obtained from Hypermesh, and geometry file (igs) is from another, they are not correlated.

Hi,everyone:
I am a little puzzled with the coincidence question of the geometry-mesh for one part of the whole model. I can try two approaches:
(1) Apply loads on the area in Hypermesh. The loads can be applied on the geometry directly in Hm and the loads can be imported into Ansys. However, this is not expected.
(2) The whole model including the many parts is meshed and imported in Ansys. We know if mesh and geometry is consistent, the load can be applied on the geometry directly or by ¡°Dtran¡±, ¡°Stran¡± methods. Now the difficulties exist because the node and element position should be the same as meshed in hypermesh, otherwise, the mesh of the part to be meshed can't coincide with the mesh of the closed part. To be satisfied with the needs, the geometry is rebuit by node information. Our steps are given as followings: A) We create the keypoints on the nodes, then lines on the keypoints. The area can be built by sweeping lines along lines because the geometry shape is regular. B) After building the area and meshing it, the solid elements can be obtained by extruding the area along lines. In this way, the mesh-geometry association can meet the needs but the file is too large which includes too many areas and solids.
Any suggestions should be appreciated greatly.
B.R.

the easiast think you can do, if the model is so simple as you say, is to model it in ANSYS from the begging, mesh it in ansys and apply loads in ansys, if you dont know how you can do it, let me know and I will give you a simple example

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back