Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to but a bend into a peice of angle iron 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

charliedurrant

Materials
Dec 16, 2005
GB
Hi,

I have made a piece of angle iron from some sheet metal with a sketched 90 bend. All very simple..... I now want to bend the angle iron round a radius. Easy I thought....just put a nother stetched bend in ....set the radius and voila..........but you guessed it 'the computer says no'.......

Does anyone have any ideas how I can create the desired result....?

Charles

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You have to make sure the "material" is not being deformed or stretched.
ie. The notch at the bend has to be such that only the flat portion is being bent.

[cheers]
Helpful SW websites FAQ559-520
How to get answers to your SW questions FAQ559-1091

You could use the Flex command but you will no longer be able to flatten the part ... unless you make a config with the Flex feature suppressed.

[cheers]

It would be best to "cheat it" by making 1 configuration for your straight angle, and a second configuration for your angle that's radiused. Draw the angle shape, then either revolve it, or use a sweep instead for your 2nd config.

Flores
SW06 SP4.1

I agree with smcadman.

SW sheetmetal functionality is based on simple line bends. When forming comes into play, it cannot accurately handle the operation. In the real world, you will probably make the angle and then roll the angle into a radius.

The rolling is a forming operation that involves a lot of stretching.

-Shaggy

Flex looks like the thing.....I'm having trouble getting it to flex along the flat of the angle iron and not the apex of the angle iron but the functionality certainly looks like what I want....

Thanks to all for their posts....

When the Flex manager box appears, you can adjust the planes to align squarely with the planar faces.

[cheers]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back