Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to calculate batter 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

aweysham

Structural
Aug 2, 2005
Is there any simple formula to calculate batter of a structure such as 1 to 10 to arrive at a degree off vertical?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

aweysham, if a batter is what I think it is, a sloping surface, and you have some overall dimensions, some simple triangle trigonometry will give you any angle. Is that what you had in mind?

aweysham,

I use a degree-calculater in the www, or Excel.
In ACAD there's IMHO no way. I would draw the slope in % and trim the lines...

Lothar

ADT 2004

Draw it 1 in 10, then get and angular dimension from AutoCAD?

Or, knowing that the tangent of the angle is equal to the rise divided by the run, calculate it. AutoCAD understands tangents and the inverse. On the command line, type CAL [space] then atan(1/20) [ENTER]. AutoCAD tells you the angle in the current units.

Hi IFRs,
thanks for the calculator tip. ACAD can more than "+" and "-" [wink]
But I can't use it while drawing a line...?
_line -> first point -> < 'cal ... doesn't work

Lothar

ADT 2004

Many thanks to "Ipseifert" & "IFRs" for their answer. Yes I arrived at 5.7106 but by the hard way. I figured their must be a formula somewhere. I tried IFRs way but do not get an answer when I query Cad. I typed cal and space, then I get the prompt, "Expression". so i typed in atan(1/10) but get nothing. I finally got my platform dwg with the correct batter 1/10 but was looking for simple way next time I make one up for planning purposes and the batter may be different.
thanks,
Andy
Installation Supt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back