Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to calculate Pipe/Fitting Wall thickness as per ASME B16.9

Status
Not open for further replies.

rpm8

Mechanical
Jun 8, 2002
US
Hi,

I am a Mechanical Engineer presently working on Piping Specifications. This is a new field for me as a result, I got to do a lot of reference through books and online.

The piping Specification I am working on shows a list of Pipe fittings e.g. Elbow Long Radius, Tee, Reducing Tee, Concentric Tee etc. It says from sizes 2"-36", Wall thickness/Class as per ASME B16.9

How do I calculate the Wall thickness or find out the Class?
Material - CU/NI 90/10(UNS C7060X) EEMUA 146
End Connection- Butt weld

Hoping to hear from you soon.

Thanks & Regards
Rpm

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

B16.9 does not provide a method for calculating thickness, it provides fittings rated the same as matching straight seamless pipe. You calculate the required thickness for the straight pipe per the appropriate Code (e.g. ASME B31.1, ASME B31.3, etc.) and pick matching fittings.

rpm8,

In order to specify the pipe fittings as per ASME B16.9, you need to know the following (atleast)
- Material of construction ( ASTM or equivalent grade)
- nominal size NB
- schedule
If I understand your problem correctly, you do not know the schedule of the pipe fittings. In that case, it would not be wrong to use the fittings having the same schedule as that of the corresponding PIPES where these fittings are going to be used. ( I presume, the "Pipe" specification available with you, has the 'schedule' metioned in the specification)

Another option is to actually calculate the wall thickness as mentioned by "B16.9 answer" and select the suitable 'schedule'.

Hope this helps.

Pras

B16.9 is a standard which is accepted by some Codes with out requirement of providing design calculations. If you design flanges or pipe fittings calculations are required for proof. Use the design calculations of the referencing Code.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back