Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to calculate strain rate in VUMAT? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

tyzhang

Civil/Environmental
Dec 29, 2021
US
Dear community,

I need to implement strain rate effect through VUMAT and I need to calculate strain rate in my VUMAT code. I read the VUMAT documentation and found two time-related variables: stepTime and dt. It seems that both variables can be used for the aim. T think that the strain rate can be calculated as follows,

strainRate = strainInc/stepTime
or
strainRate = strainInc/dt

The question is which one is correct, or neither of them is correct. Does anyone know this? Much appreciate.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thanks for your comment. Why doesn't first one match with the def of strain rate? In the manual, 'stepTime' is Value of time since the step began. It also represents the length of time corresponding to the current strainInc.

Because strain rate can be defined as ε_r = dε/dt and this dt is essentially the same as the one available in Abaqus. But to make sure you can run a simple test case for which the strain rate is known and calculate it in both ways in Abaqus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back