Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to calculate Tangent modulus?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DDM84

Automotive
Oct 13, 2011
GB
Hello guys,

Is there any specific formula to calculate Tangent modulus? I need this value in material card which I am using for crash analysis. Your guidance will be much appreciated.

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

@ rb1957 Many thanks for reply

I got yield stress, youngs modulus in linear region, ultimate tensile strength.
In order to use Ramberg-Osgood equation I will need K & n value which I dont have.

do you want an equation for tangent modulus with respect to stress (or strain) ? or a single value ?

if you're doing crash analysis i guess you're trying to capture plasticity effects. a cheap and dirty answer would be (ult. stress- yield stress)/(ult strain-yield strain)

The tangent Modulus is just that - the tangent of the stress-strain curve at any particular point. If you have a stress-strain curve, then you can calculate the tangent modulus either symbolically, if you have a formula (derivatives, calculus-type stuff), or numerically (delta stress / delta strain).

Don't over-think this. Draw the stress-strain curve out. draw your tangent modulus lines. Should be easy...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back