Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to calculate the capacity of an oil tanker? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

No007Spy

Marine/Ocean
Jul 3, 2005
CA
Hello:

Can anyone help me in figuring out how to calculate the crude oil capacity of an oil tanker compared to its dwt ?

If the same calculations apply to the LNG tankers ?

Thank you,

Justin

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You should be able to go down to the Coast Gaurd station and find some of this out.
If your co. is looking at using one, the owners of the transport know what they haul both in weight and volume

If it is a new one, the mfg can give you a exact capacity

but looking at empy to full weight ?? to many unkowns
like how much ballast they use ? just to mess up things!

SBI
Central Ne.,USA

If you know some names of crude oil tankers you can go to the website register for free and look the ships up. For most ships you will find a link to the classification society. Some of those publish quite a set of data. For example have a look at the MV FRONT WARRIOR. It is a PANAMAX Cruide Oil Carrier of about 153,000 tdw. The capacity of it's cargo tanks is 172,000 m3. A barrel of cruide oil is 159 liters. The density is somewhere between 0.8 to 0.94 t/m3. A cargo tank is filled with roughly 98% of it's volume.

The tdw contains:
- payload, meaning the cargo
- ballast water
- fresh water
- fuel for the engines
- and provisions.

Hope this helps.

Sebastian

Does anyone know the potential of LNG Tankers in the next 10 - 15 years ?
What is a better investment an Oil Tanker or a LNG Tanker ?
I have been reading a lot about how LNG terminals are now being built all over the world, and wondered where the potential lies. Any help from anyone will be appreciated. I know the questions I have posted are in their simplist form simple or complex answers are most welcome. Thank you.

No007Spy

Sure now all over the world LNG terminals are being built but do you know the price difference for the same capacity LNG and an oil Tanker?

Besides, for an advice, now the companies are going for Multi Purpose vessels! LNG is a big fish and big fish always has been eaten by other big fish ;)

Next 5-10 years will be the year of Multi Purpose carriers with the capacities between 7000 DWT and 16000 DWT

GOKHAN
Naval Arc.& Marine Eng.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back