Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

How to calculate Young's Modulus/Stiffness of Gyroid Lattice Structure in Abaqus CAE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kunal Gide

Student
Oct 18, 2023
US
Hello,

I am simulating a compression test on a gyroid lattice structure in abaqus cae. The geometry has solid surfaces on top and bottom and in between there is a gyroid lattice structure. The model is 10 mm in LXBXH.I applied a displacement of 2 mm on the top surface and fixed the bottom plate with encastre to replicate similar conditions to experimental compression testing. I have given material property only in the elastic region with E= 3.5 GPa and v= 0.378. The mesh size is 0.12 mm. The simulation runs and completes. Can anyone help me in how I can find the values of Young's Modulus or Stiffness of this structure?
Thank you.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hello,

Thank you for your suggestion. I will try the procedure you mentioned and update you with the answers. in the meantime PFA the 2 papers in literature from which I am referring parameters and resulting values

1) Comparative evaluation of printability and compression properties of poly-ether-ether-ketone triply periodic minimal surface scaffolds fabricated
by laser powder bed fusion. Haoze Wang a, Peng Chen a, Hongzhi Wu a, Annan Chen a, Siqi Wu a, Jin Su a,b, Mingzhe Wang a,
Xiaobo Feng b, Cao Yang b, Lei Yang c,*, Chunze Yan a,*, Yusheng Shi a

2) Development of an architecture-property model for triply periodic minimal surface structures and validation using material extrusion additive
manufacturing with polyetheretherketone (PEEK). Hannah Spece *, Paul M. DeSantis , Steven M. Kurtz

Hello @SWComposites,

I was able to run the simulation and get the values as follows

RF2 at RP1 (F)= 520.759N
Displacement at RP1 (D)= 2mm
Length of lattice (L)= 6.7mm
Area of the Square (A)= 6.7*6.7=44.89mm^2

therefore stress/strain = (520.759N/44.89mm^2)/(2mm/6.7mm)= 11.600/0.289 = 40.13 (N/mm^2) MPa

This value is still too low for as compared to the literature. Can you let me know where have I gone wrong?

Thanks.

Sorry, I don’t have copies of the papers and am not going to purchase them.

Really need to understand in detail how the modulus value was calculated from the test data.

Check the article "Numerical Modeling and Experimental Investigation of Effective Elastic Properties of the 3D Printed Gyroid Infill" by P. Beam et al. Your model is basically RVE and you may need periodic BCs. There are plug-ins for that and for RVE homogenization in general (like EasyPBC mentioned in the article).

Hello,

Thank you for recommending the paper, I will check it out.

For calculation
I created a reference Point RP1 on the top surface and used the coupling constraint for the top surface and the RP1. in history output I chose to calculate the Reaction force 2 (RF2) at the reference point. So in my calculation I selected the maximum value of the reaction force and divided by the area of the square surface which is 6.7mmx6.7mm for stress. And for displacement calculation I had already defined the displacement as 2mm and the height of the lattice structure was 6.7 mm.

I tried uploading the papers but it was not letting me do it.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back