Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

how to center extrusion in relation to object

Status
Not open for further replies.

dreamstar

Aerospace
Nov 4, 2008
US
HI there,

I was hoping you guys could help me CENTER, or simply MOVE an extrusion in relation to an object. I have attached an NX6 file which is a simple footpeg. Somehow, I am unable to move the "bracket" with the circular hole. I would like that bracket to be centered with the actual footpeg. I have tried "move object" but it moves the entire footpeg. I have tried EDIT>FEATURE>MOVE to no avail...

Thank you

Max

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Try reattching the sketch to datum planes that are where you want them or moving the plane the sketch is currently attached to.

Wow John,
That's amazing! I didn't know we could do that in NX6....
Thanks a lot!

I had a couple more questions in regards to machining that specific model...

In the case of the THRU pockets, I wanted to center drill & drill 2 holes in order to get my cutter in there instead of ramp it. I know how to center drill and drill, but I don't know what to do from there. In other words, how do you start your cutter in a hole when the hole has not been done on the model itself but rather on the workpiece with a "point" (dynamically with the manufacturing module)?

Also, you see the "teeth" on the footpeg... They are 5mm in diameter, and I was hoping to simply use a 5mm ball end mill and program it to go in a straight line back and forth (like in a slot). Would you know how to do that?

THANK YOU

Max

On the Planar mill - Non cutting moves dialog select the Start Drill Points tab and define a Pre-drill point and use the same location where you drilled the hole.
Set the close area - Engage setting to Plunge. Now the tool will plunge into the location where you drilled the hole. I would recommend creating a point at this location so you can move it later if you need to.

To cut the slots I used planar mill and picked the edge of the first and last slot to create a boundary. The boundary does not need to be one continuous curve.

See the attached part

John Joyce
Tata Technologies iKS
1675 Larimer St.
Denver, CO
www.myigetit.com

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=4ebc6055-e8a3-4f01-aacc-cfc32347cca2&file=footpeg_16_setup2.prt
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back