Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to change a Pulling Winch to a Pulling and Holding Winch?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FILUS

Petroleum
Apr 13, 2010
VE
I am planning to adapt to my electrical winch a hydraulic motor. My electrical winch is only for pulling (Not Include Brake) I thing that adapting a Hydraulic Piston Motor it could work not only for pulling but also for holding if I include a contra balance or holding valve, therefore I believe that wouldn’t have to use a hydraulic brake to hold the load. Is this proposes right?

I understand that gear motors doesn’t work to hold without mechanical gearing or brake because motors have internal clearances which will allow rotation to occur even when the holding valve not leak. Is it the same in Piston Motors?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Piston motors also have internal clearance and leakage.

It depends on how critical the application is. Load to hold and for how long. Just for example, if the load drifts a foot in 30 minutes is that a problem? Must the load not move at all for any length of time?

Ted

"Imagine lifting something really heavy with your idea."

Ow, I just pulled a muscle in my brain.

Seriously, when I read "winch" I thought of something pulling horizontally, not hoisting. Still a valid point, but more generally - will loss of holding cause risk to human life and/or safety?

Is not important the type of engine you have for your winch: electric, hydraulic you will need a CAM CLUTCH UNIT – a non return device for “holding” your load.

Depending on how big is your application you have to choose for a clutch unit able to sustain the load.

Remember that you are not going to be ale to go in both ways – you are going to have only two functions: hoist and hold.

Another concern is that most winches can “free spool”, meaning they can be completely disengaged from the drive motor to unwind the cable. This would be a dangerous option for a hoist.

If you can remove the electric motor to install a hydraulic motor, why don't you get an electric motor that is double ended so that it can accept an eletric brake.
Also many of the electric brake companies make brakes that will bolt in between the motor and motor mount.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back