Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to change valve under pressure ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnSolid1

Mechanical
Jun 15, 2003
HR
I have 1/2" (male) valve that I have to change under 40 bar pressure !!

There is no way to close this part of gas line (natural gas).

It's actualy one-direction stop valve in shape of usual bolt with high six-side head.

How do I change this valve ?
Is there any tool for this operation ?

Thank You in advance ..

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

JohnSolid1,
Go with hacksaw on this one. There are so many ways to kill someone with 40 bar that it doesn't bear contemplation. The experts will find a way to do something like installing a lubricator to insert a line stoppel and pull the valve out. Replace it with technology that works.

There is no cookbook way to do this and it takes a lot of experience and really specialized tools.

David

John-

I agree with the other posts - It isn't worth getting someone killed to try this without a lot of experience. Even with an experienced contractor, you need to have a contingency plan in case something goes wrong. The worst case is usually that the line breaks while its being worked on. The plant operators must be ready with a plan in case this happens. Our on site contractor who handles these types of jobs for us is FlowServe. Check them out at
jt

Try Cudd Pressure control they should be able to freeze the line by pumping in a gel and using dry ice, very effective in changing out wellheads

I would like to thank all for replys.

From answers above, the most I like is to inject some kind of gel, and freze it inside of gas line. Now I would like some recomendations what kind of gel, or other medium I could use for this, where can I buy it (I'm located in Europe) and other useful hints.

Thank you all, once again..

Can I ask why you need to change out a 1/2" valve? The cost of performing the "hot work" may be significant and another alternative be considered.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back