How to choose a manual Valve for Hydro testing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yash Patel

Mechanical
Nov 9, 2016
CA
Hi,
I am looking to purchase 2" Socket Weld - On/off - manual valve for the hydro test setup. Please help me to select the type of valve.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Let me think about this, Huuuummmm?
There are many different Types of Valves, such as:
- Ball
- Gate
- Globe
- Plug
- etc
I think these are all available in 2", with Socket-Weld end connections, However, you also need to know some details before you select a Valve Type.
Such as:
- Maximum Pressure required - Some of these Valve Types may not be compatible with your Pressure requirements.

Who is going to do the actual Hydro-testing? Maybe you should ask them?

Sometimes its possible to do all the right things and still get bad results

Hi,
Some of hydro test general perception either for mobile / rigged test bench that I can think of:
a.Valve, should be:
[ul]
[li]Able to regulate / fine tuning pressure : by far this is performed better by Needle valve[/li]
[li]Quick operation for filling (especially for large volume valve) / quick draining (after testing) / quick closing (after xx,xx Psig designated pressure achieved) : normally used are Ball valves[/li]
[li]Tight shut off / zero leakage: Soft seated (normally Ball) valve[/li]
[/ul]

b.Service: water with or without inhibitor
Always think it comes from unreliable (clean) source, used for multiple testing, used for testing dirty valve. The bottom line is: the water is dirty
Dirt will: trapped in the valve cavity (causing Gate valve unable to fully close after sometime), causing soft seated ball valve starts to leak, etc.

By that aspect valves should be maintainable / replaceable easily and not suggested for socket welding. Threaded or flange type is more suitable.
Socket weld is more for Helium testing if someone would minimize leakage path.

If you have other reason for using socket weld, maybe top entry ball valve is a good choice for blocking purpose. Suggest to remove the soft seated first before welding it.
Or else, if you want to have one valve that can do all (block and regulate) maybe 1 or 2 Globe valve can do the trick (Metal seated).

Regards,
MR

All valves will last for years, except the ones that were poorly manufactured; are still wrongly operated and or were wrongly selected

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back