Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to clean large diameter water mains? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Denob

Civil/Environmental
Feb 11, 2005
US
I am producing a set of construction drawings of 24" and 30" water transmission line. According to the water district we are working for, there have been cases in the past where the water lines haven't been properly cleared of particles both small and large. I've heard of the term "pigging", but know little about it. My general question is: How should I address this issue? Is there a bid item I should add?...or can I just add a general note with no separate payment (price to be included in the unit cost for water main installation)?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You can learn all you need to know about pipeline pigging from the Girard Industries Website:

You will need to design launching and recieving stations to accomodate pigging the line. Typical pipe arrangements can be found on the website. Good luck!!

generally it is specified at no direct pay.

NOTE: make sure you are not using a butterfly valve in this line. only a gate valve or other similar full port valve will work

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back