Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

how to connect a solid to a shell surface? not to the edge? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Several ways:
1.You could just merge nodes, but that would be connecting edge of a shell part with solid part.
2.Standard practice is to embed two rows of shell elements into the solid, a) either by giving very small thickness or b) same thickness.
3.If there is a weld or other kind of connection then you can always use some kind of connector definition to represent that.

unless you have a very regular mesh, it'll take a lot of work to create a straight line of nodes (to join to).

why not split the surface into two (along the edge you want to join to) ?

Hi,Prebasha
I have a question about (1) :in abaqus is it possible to merge nodes on two parts
another question about (2) : If shell and solid have different thickness, can I do this?

Hi,
Rb1957

I want to connect a shell surface to a cylinder. I have tried to use shell to solid even though it give good results but I want to use another way to prove it is right.

the idea is to have the same nodes on both the shell and the cyclinder (so they are "welded" together in the FEA)
this is easily done by having coincident nodes and then merging these nodes (so there is only one node on both pieces).

alternatively you can have conincident nodes and attach the two pieces using zero length springs (in NASTRAN its a CELAS or a CBUSH, there should be a comparable element in ANSYS). this way you can control how the two pieces interact (a full welded joints or maybe a pinned joint (forces only) or maybe only some forces (in-plane ?).

i'd be surprised if ANSYS doesn't allow you to intersect a cyclinder with a shell ... it'll be a ridiculous amount of work to do the intersection by hand ??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back