Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to control IVOL per integration point inside each element?

Status
Not open for further replies.

coolFL

Mechanical
Mar 4, 2015
US
Hello all,

I want to do one simulation in which I want to control the assigned integration point volume inside each of the element. One preliminary analysis shows that this assignment is random inside C3D20T elements with 27 integration points. Hence can somebody direct me on how to control the percentage of the volume which is assigned to each integration points within each element. Any leads on this issue would be really helpful.
Thank you in advance,

Nik

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hey,

I did one 3D simulation with 126750 elements of type of C3D8T. This has 8 integration points per element. I extracted IVOL values of each integration point for all the elements to determine percent volume fraction allocated to each integration point within an element. The minimum and maximum values of IVOL volume percentages allocated to each integration point over 126750 C3D8T elements are as follows:
It. Point No.
[/IVOL Volume Percentages
[indent​
Min Max
0.093 0.133
0.113 0.161
0.092 0.135
0.093 0.135
0.114 0.158
0.114 0.158
0.090 0.137
0.116 0.158

From this data we can see that there is up to 5% variation in the percent volume fraction that is allocated to each integration point within an element. Hence I wanted to know how to control this percent volume fraction (i.e. percent of the volume of the entire element) that is assigned to each of integration points?

I learnt something new today!
You can not change IVOL. Is 5% change in IVOL cause for alarm/concern in your final solution? As long as this variation isn't spatially biased, can it be considered an acceptable level of noise?

Are you new to this forum? If so, please read these FAQs:

Hi IceBreakerScours,

Thanks for your message! Yes 5% variation in IVOL is matter of concern for me because I plan to assign different material properties at each integration point within element. Therefore, I need to have some control over the percent volume fractions of the different materials that are assigned per element. So any input/discussion in this matter would be appreciated. Also, you mentioned that I can talk to simulia. What is the best way to reach out to those guys?

Thanks again,

Nik

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back