Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

How to copy and paste lines (not in a view) from one sheet to another? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

sociallyinept

Aerospace
Aug 19, 2003
US
I am working in Drafting and would like to copy lines from one sheet to another. The lines are not in a view so I can't use the copy view feature. Transform doesn't seem to work either. Copy and paste only seem to work for text. Any suggestions?

[afro]

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What sort of lines do you have on your drawing that you need them copied to another drawing?

All drawing entitities are 'view-dependent' even if they aren't in a view. A drawing is itself a view in UG.

"Wildfires are dangerous, hard to control, and economically catastrophic."

Ben Loosli
CAD/CAM System Analyst
Ingersoll-Rand

I am going from a revision B to a revision C. To write our engineering change notices we must include a snapshot of how the view WAS (rev. B) and also how it IS now (rev. C). I have exported the views I need as CGM and then import them back into the drawing. However, this puts the CGM on a whole new sheet in drafting. So, I need to be able to transfer the CGM, that is now just lines, from one sheet to another. Making the view a CGM also allows me to scale it to fit where I need it. The "drawing" sheet that I need to transfer these views to is basically an A size sheet with mostly text to explain the changes to rev. B that will make it a rev. C. I hope this clears things up a bit.
[smile]

You could import the cgm in 3d space on a certain layer and just ad in a view where the visible in view option for the view is ónly set for chosen layer.

Great idea Azrael! I ended up doing the following (for anyone interested)...

1. Export specific view as CGM. (This creates a view of lines, without associations to a model).
2. Import the CGM to a sheet in drafting.
3. Export that sheet as a part.
4. Import that part into any sheet I wish. This provides for greater flexibility by allowing me to scale not only the lines but the text and dimensions as well. It also allows me to import to any sheet I wish and place the view anywhere I need it.

Thanks for your responses!
[jester2]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back