Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to create a surface by boundary in NX3 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Munnichs

Mechanical
Jan 21, 2003
NL
Does anybody know how to (easy and fast create) a rectangular surface out of a set of curves? In I-deas there was this option 'surface by boundary'. I there a similar command in Nx3, except 'Through curves'?

Kind regards,
Roy Munnichs

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi Munnichs

Is the surface planar? If so go INSERT-SURFACE-BOUNDED PLANE.
If not planar then 'Through curve mesh' should do the trick.
INSERT-MESH SURFACE-THROUGH CURVE MESH.

Thanks, this is exacly what I want.

But then there is another issue: why can't find this option in the 'surface' toolbar?

Kind regards,
Roy Munnichs.

They have started hiding many command incons so that you have to manually add them to your toolbars as you need them. It seems counter-intuitive to me, especially for newer users.

Bla bla bla...

Insert->Mesh Surface->N-Sided Surface, then choose the boundary from curves, etc

It`s simplier than Through Curve Mesh

cad - designer
i-deas 11nx sworks 2006 ug nx 4.0

IMB InteliStation M Pro

Blah blah blah my ass....

It's simpler to create an N-Sided surface but N-Sided surface doesn't provide nearly the amount of control that Through Curve Mesh does. N-sided Surface is a niche command that is not a do-all surface creator like Through Curve Mesh can be.

Try matching the middle of an N-sided surface to a profile or curve...you can't. However, you can just add the curve to a TCM mesh and be done with it.

Tim Flater
Senior Designer
Enkei America, Inc.

I just didn't care too much for the "blah blah blah" crap that was posted. Not a very good idea to post something like that when he might be the one needing our advice in the future. I know that I won't be offering any of my "blah blah blah" to him should he be needing help.

I also have a feeling we won't need to worry about it because he probably won't be here very much longer.[thumbsup2]

Tim Flater
Senior Designer
Enkei America, Inc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back