Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to create aerofoil in NX 9

Status
Not open for further replies.

AeroDinesh

Aerospace
Apr 20, 2015
IN
Hi All,
I have a list of coordinates of Aerofoil and want to import into NX 9. Since spline is going to be retired soon, what is the quick and easy way to import this point and create curve?

Any help please..

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Note , the "Spline" is going away but not the "Studio Spline", which creates the same geometrical/ mathematical object, i.e the spline.
The "old spline" can do import of points from file, the replacement of that is a pure import , File - Import- Points from file.
The old Fit spline has a new replacement in " the Fit Curve - Fit Spline".

Regards,
Tomas

What gave you the impression that the 'spline' function was going to be retired soon?

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Engineering Software
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Digital Factory
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

JohnRBaker said:
What gave you the impression that the 'spline' function was going to be retired soon?

Let's call it "engineering intuition" [glasses]
But the timing is still up for debate. It may be in all future versions of NX for all we know...

download.aspx

www.nxjournaling.com

I guess it's the word "soon" that I was focusing on. Besides, as mentioned by Toost, the CAPABILITY is not being retired.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Digital Factory
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

Hi Toost,
Thanks for the reply. But its a way around instead of straight way?

And JohnRBaker, if you say so, then why it is listed as 'To be Retired'?

For years people have been asking for a way to create a series of point in UG/NX from data in a text file. Granted, we could create both curves and surfaces using point data in a text file, but that still left out people who wanted just to create the points as NX objects and then use them for whatever.

So we added the ability to create named groups of points from many different data file formats, many more formats than was supported by the older Spline and Surface Through Points function. In that same release, based on the fact that people had been asking for new and better ways to 'Fit' Curves (and NOT just Splines) and Surface (and NOT just B-Surfaces) through sets of points. So we decided to create TWO project (three actually when you include 'Fit Surface) to cover all of those requests. First, we would provide a general purpose 'Import -> Points From File...' function which solved the first request. And to take advantage of this new capability to easily import points from many different sources via text data files, we decided to create a new 'Fit Curve' and 'Fit Surface' function that would take as input groups of points. True, you now have to perform TWO steps in your workflow from point data to curve (or surface), but we've gained the ability to just import points alone, something that people had been depending on GRIP and NX Open programs for years to do. Once it was decided to have a general purpose 'import point data' function, it was felt that there was no need to DUPLICATE the code by adding redundant functionality to the Fit Curve and Fit Surface functions. And we're not going to apologize for doing that easier since in the end it make much more sense to handle these two very different tasks with separate tools.

As for why have we indicated that the 'Spline' function will, at some point in the future, be retired permanently, well lets just say that 'you've been warned' and leave it at that. Personally, I think we should be even MORE aggressive in 'retiring' obsolete functionality, just that I know that we hardly ever do, and it's often because of people refusing to use the newer and more capable functions added to NX, just because of something like having to have a couple of extra mouse picks or because they wish to avoid performing totally logical tasks, but which they felt was an additional and undesirable operation, as part of a very reasonable and easy to understand workflow.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Digital Factory
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

I don't think the spline (through points -> points from file) should be retired until there is a method to obtain the same result, just as quickly. The spline (through points from file) command follows the order of the points in the file. Using file -> import points from file loses the order; the "fit spline" command can infer the order (and occasionally it is correct), but the resulting spline does not pass through the points. The "studio spline" command won't try to infer the point order; it forces you to select them one by one.

Using "import points from file" and "studio spline", you can get the same result as "through points from file"; but if you have more than a handful of points, it will really slow you down.

www.nxjournaling.com

Hi All,
Thanks for your mail. I agree that new function using import file (points) and then use fit curve to create aerofoil works perfectly. Little bit lengthy but fine.

I will stick to the new method. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back