Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to create Parts from ToolBox 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

toshga

Mechanical
Jan 15, 2002
US
I am trying to create my own library of bolts and screws by using parts from ToolBox. I used "Save As" and then inserted a design table and created all my configurations. When I insert the screw into an assembly, it does not prompt me to select a length. It also creates a "Preview Cfg" configuration in the part file that I inserted. If I delete the configuration, then insert it, it creates the configuration again. It also has the ToolBox icon (bolt) next to the part in the Feature Manager, not a part symbol. Does anyone know how to disassociate a part from the ToolBox so I don't get this "Preview Cfg" in my part file?

Thanks,

Todd

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Daniel,

That work perfect! How in the world did you find this? Do you mind if I pass this on to others?

Thanks again,

Todd

I don't use Toolbox often or I'd know this. I'm using 2008 and Toolbox is on my local system. When inserting a SHCS for example, I would prefer to convert the toolbox component upon insertion to a unique part file for the particular job I'm working on with no ties or links back to toolbox. Is this possible without running a separate utility? can someone explain what settings I shoud set so this is default! or is there a tutorial for this?

thanks,
Tom

Tom Malinski
Dell Prec 670, Xeon 3.8,2GB Ram, Nvidia Quadra FX 3450/4000 SDI
SWorks Premium 2008 SP 3.1 & PDMWorks

Tom,

From what I have read from several forums is that if you are using Toolbox on your local drive, it works great. It is when it is shared between users where problems arise.

If you want to create a separate library part that is not linked back to the toolbox, then the only way to break the link from what I found is to use the utility.

You could go to the Toolbox and make a copy of all bolts there, then run the utility on all at once and the links will be broken. But, if you want to create configurations, you will have to do it manually. If you are interested in how I created all my configurations without manually typing it all in, let me know.

Todd

Actually, what I do for toolbox parts is the following:

Open new assembly....
Get configuration of part I need....
Exit out of toolbox....
RMB on the part in the FM and use "open part"....
It will say "read only" but this is ok....
Close the assembly model of the toolbox part....
Use "Save As" on the read only part file....
Delete extra configurations you don't need....

This may be the long way but it works for me, hope this helps someone else.

BB

BB,

If you use that part again and insert it into another assembly, it will still be linked to the toolbox. (icon in feature manager will show a bolt, not a part icon) It wont prompt you to choose a configuration at insert time like other parts that are created with configurations. At least this is what I experienced. Let me know if you experience anything different.

Thanks,

Todd

This is how my FM looks using the toolbox part I saved using my procedure. My toolbox is on my local machine as well.

Now, I have never been accused of being the smartest cookie in the package but this is how I was shown many years ago. I am all for an easier or better way, so suggestions welcome.

toolboxpartuu4.jpg

BB,

I have read somewhere of a bug within Toolbox 2008 where it creates this "Preview Cfg" configuration that you can not get rid of. If I save an inserted part from the Toolbox to a differtnt part name and then open that part and delete the "Preview Cfg" configuration, everytime I insert that part into an assembly it reappears inside the part file. I can tile my part and assembly files and drag the part file into the assembly and if I watch the part file configurations, the "Preview Cfg" automatically gets put it. I think this is what is causing my problem. The utility that I spoke of eariler removes the link to the Toolbox and allows me to delete the "Preview Cfg" and it will not return after that. Maybe this will be fixed in the next sp.

Thanks for your help,
Todd

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back