Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to create quick Quality "balloon" numbers & chart?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolfmann

Automotive
Jul 31, 2003
US
This multiple question is in regard to the 2D drawing side in IDeas.
1)What is the fastest way to construct oval balloons, with a filled-in pointed end, and numbers that automatically count off as placed on the drawing as typically used by Quality departments?
2)Also, can a numbered chart be immediately be constructed based on those balloons?
Currently, this is being done manually using "Symbols" and "Notes" techique. (very slow and difficult to update!)

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If you are trying to annotate a drawing of an assembly - you have the option to create a BOM of the assembly. This alows you to create baloons of each instance and automaticaly create a table containing part name, part number, etc. referenced back to the baloon number. To automaticaly increment the baloon numbers just set the "auto increment" buton to on, and set the type of arrow, and baloon box you would like to use. There is a good help section on how to create boms which should explain the process step by step.

Thanks for the response Metacor. Yes, I am aware of the BOM automated Item Ballooning method. Unfortunately, it appears to be able to construct approved diametrial shaped BOM Item Balloons only. I'm not at a Ford supported location anymore, but I thought I remember there being other detailing options that could do this sort of thing.
The Quality department typically use oval shaped balloons with a wide shaftless arrowhead attached to one side or the other of the oval. Most places do this by manually, ie. pencil. The balloons are positioned next to (and angled if neccessary) what ever dimension or characteristic they are required to track on a Quality Layout Report for inspection purposes. This is not typically a Product Design Drawing function, but here and there, some companies are trying to better control checking procedures using only one "master" drawing.
The idea is to prevent inconsistancies and having to reballoon every new drawing version/revision before or after it is released internally or externally.
The important thing is that these balloons not be mistaken for BOM/ITEM Balloons or Change Balloons, etc.
Maybe a Macro can be written? Any comments out there?
bh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back