Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to create sketch lines from planes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

boffin5

Aerospace
Dec 31, 2003
US
Sorry to ask a trivial one (not for me), but I am working on a sketch, and I need to create a centerline from a plane that intersects the sketch plane. How do you do it?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thank you both. But I still can't get it to work. I have a sketch plane, and there is another plane which intersects it. I want to create a circle on the sketch plane, using the line of interection with the other plane to locate it. It is not apparent to me how to make the cutting plane and the line end point coincident, and picking the'automatic relations' icon doesn't seem to make a difference. I begin by picking 'centerline' and then pass the cursor over the line of intersection, but it doesn't indicate seeing it.

You could use the INTERSECTION LINE COMMAND!

See it in:
TOOLS -> SKETCH TOOLS -> INTERSECTION CURVE

I hope this could help you!

See ya.

----------
SolidWorks Help-Center
Santo André, Brazil...
-> <-

FYI - you can't make a plane while in sketch mode.

Exit sketch mode then pick the end point of the line and select a plane parallel to the plane you want. HTat will offset a plane at that distance... If you read the help on the planes you can figure out how to make planes... most people don't realize that sometimes it takes more sketching and planes before you get to the plane and location you want.

Regards,

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]
faq731-376

boffin5 ...
Draw a line anywhere on the sketch plane
Deselect the Line icon
The line should remain highlighted
Hold down the Ctrl key and select the intersecting plane
The Properties manager should appear
Select the Collinear option and click the tick
The line should now be aligned with the intersecting plane.

The Automatic Relations I mentioned will work if the view angle is perpendicular to the intersection plane. ie. so that the plane appears as a single line.

[cheers]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back