Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to create sliding between two cylindrical tubes in Abaqus? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

StructuralCivilFEA

Civil/Environmental
Mar 2, 2020
NO
I want to fix the outer tube, but not restrict the inner tube so that it is only restricted by the coloumb friction caused by the contact with the outer tube. When I apply boundary conditions to only the outer tube the solution does not converge. I am using penalty friction formulation.
CDP_yvzimm.png

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You may have to fix the inner tube in other directions to avoid rigid body motions. Another way would be to use inertia relief or soft springs/discrete dashpots. How does this structure work in real life ?

Its supposed to be a wind turbine - grouted joint connection. I have just started working on it, there are three components, two steel tubes and concrete inbetween. I need to model the sliding and normal contact inbetween the three componenets.

Is the solver struggling to converge the first increment? If yes, the solver is having trouble to establish contact at the outset so it thinks bodies are free (i.e., rigid body motion). Do an eigenvalue analysis at t=0 and you will see those modes appear.

Are you new to this forum? If so, please read these FAQs:

Can you attach more pictures of your model - one showing boundary conditions and loads and one showing meshed geometry in the front view (the one where cylinder base is visible) with perspective off ? It’s necessary to determine whether the cylinders are initially in contact or there’s a gap between them. The way this model is constrained and loaded is also very important.

So you assume that only contact friction blocks the inner pipe from sliding out due to gravity and you want to simulate this sliding. In such case I think that it would be better to use dynamic implicit analysis. But first make sure that contact between the cylinders is properly established (no gaps). You can use output variables such as CSTATUS for this purpose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back