Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

How to deal with lazy (who are bored from work) coworker engineers in my office. 12

Status
Not open for further replies.

NewEngineer652

Mechanical
Feb 15, 2015
US
Hello All,
I am a recent graduate and started working at my current company 8 month ago. we are total 3 engineers in the mechanical engineering group. One has been working there for 6 years, the other has been there for 3 years, I am the junior of all the three of us. I am the most passionate and excited about my work. I am trying my best to do everything and learn everything. My seniors are okay with anything and are bored of doing the same thing every day. The truth is these two people are very good to me but sometimes the fact that I want to do more and more, their behavior towards me changes. It looks like they hate the fact that I want to work more and they just want to spend the time at work and go home.
This is why I have started acting like lazy and confused infront of them so they are okay. Please tell me how to do as much work as possible and they still be okay with it. I really want to do my best at work.

thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

NewEngineer652,

They are probably putting up a false front to make people around them believe that they have a lot of work to do when in fact they don't. If they complain loud enough and long enough, then the people there will probably not bother them as much. This is their goal. It sounds like they are just lazy.

Aggravating them is not in your best interest, so do not push them. They are not your responsibility. If they have been there long enough and are vindictive people, then they will find a way to make your life miserable. Do not put yourself in this position. Just allow them to perform their work the way that they see fit. And you should work at a pace that feels comfortable for you. Learn from them what you can, and when you finally move on to a new position remember what to look out for in people like them. One day you will probably become a manager. Going through this will help you to spot the people who are not productive.

Maui

Maui:
Thank you very much for this piece of advice. It has certainly motivated me and I will make sure to work harder on myself. Currently, I am working on the following issues I have at work.

(1). I am having problem in explaining my ideas to my boss. Sometimes I take my drawings and sketches to him to show him what I am thinking. I think mostly its because English is not my first language. I moved to the US 7 years ago.
(2). Lack of knowledge in manufacturing process, mechanical design concepts, welding procedures, etc. Usually, when I am talking to my co-worker engineers, they start talking about some process and I have no idea what that is.
(3). I am not good at autodesk inventor, which is the software we use for design. I am working hard to be an expert in that.

I think one of the reasons that your co-workers behavior may be changing when you are trying to do everything is your lack of experience. When you start to take on new work tasks they will undoubtedly have to take time out of their work day to instruct and supervise you in that task. If you overlook something from ignorance, and they fail to fully check your work the blame will ultimately reside with them. This is an additional risk that may make them uncomfortable with your eagerness to take on more responsibilities.

Since they both understand the various processes that are being discussed, and know the CAD package that you are still learning they may still be more productive than you currently are. Try asking them about those processes some time.

Conversations about personal life will always take place at work. I don't if they are gossiping like the old fish wives that you make them sound like or if you just have very little patience for them because you have stereotyped them as lazy Americans. Management will always expect additional productivity from a group when adding personnel. My advice to you would be to engage in conversation with these guys often. It will give you the conversational experience that you need, and may have the added bonus of strengthening your relationship these coworkers.

Have you ever tried showing the drawings and sketches you bring to your boss to your two co-workers? They may be able to help you convey your ideas more effectively, or explain to you in more detail why they might not work.

First day of my first job I followed by boss into the development lab to find out what I would be working on. He starts talking to the machinist. They were both British so they start talking 'football'. 5 minutes, 10 minutes, 15 minutes...and I am waiting, pen and paper in hand. Finally one of the mechanics comes over and gives me a cup of coffee and says let's have a seat, they will be a while.

Eventually my boss and the machinist finish their discussion and we get to work. A 1/2 hour of my life wasted? I guess so. Was the project late? No. Did I learn that if I wanted to get on the machinists good side I would mention his fav football club? Yes. Is a 40 hour work week exactly 40 hours of work? No.

Point is your career will go on for many, many, many years. It is a marathon, not a sprint. If you have the energy now to work balls to the wall, bless you, but eventually life catches up to you and you need to establish a work/life balance and that means doing the right amount of work while you are at work - and that amount changes as your personal situation changes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back