Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to decide the face to face dimension of a NPT/SW Type Coupling

Status
Not open for further replies.

qiuniu

Mechanical
Jun 21, 2009
JP
In our project, a coulping with NPT/SW connection is used.
In B16.11, dimension for threaded or SW connection on both ends is defined. However, for the dimension of NPT/SW type coupling, how to define the face to face dimension?

Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thanks for your reply.
Can you be more specific about mfr's data bonny forge?
I looked up the homepage of Bonny forge and did not find relevant information.

Go here and look at all of the dimensions for Couplings.
Look at the same size across the board:
a). all the Threaded Couplings have the same end-to-end dimension for a given size
and
b). all the Socket-Weld Couplings all have the same but different end-to-end dimension for the same given size

c). this suggests to me that the manufacturer makes one length "Blank" for Threaded Couplings and a different length "Blank" for Socket-Weld Couplings

d). what you want is a mix, Threaded on one end and Socket-Weld on the other end.

d). Contact your supplier and ask if a Threaded by Socket-Weld Coupling is available. If it is not made then you need to find a different method to change construction.

e). The different method might be to make the transition from Threaded to Socket-Weld is via a Threaded-one-end (TOE)Nipple.

Thank you very much for you reply.
Actually, the reason for this one is that we are trying to establish a standard database for piping components. I wanted that for vendors, what is the common practice for this kind of situation.

Thanks anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back