Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

how to define contact in axisymmetric model

Status
Not open for further replies.

engineerbe

Mechanical
Oct 15, 2010
NL
cross-section of a revolved structure, modelled with 2D axisymmetric parabolic elements.
There is a gap between the two parts. Model is in global XZ plane, gap between parts is oriented in vertical direction so contact should be found in x direction.
I've tried slide lines and gap elements within an advanced non-linear analysis, but nothing seems to work, the faces penetrate without any reaction.

can anyone give me some tips?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Did you provide a compression stiffness value in the gap element property table? In Advanced nonlinear, it works as a nonlinear spring and needs the user to provide appropriate tension and compression stiffness values.

The problem lies in a sort of bug in Femap. Below I summed all information.

Thank you Namklof for your reaction. I knew about the springs but needed real contact element.
-----------
Siemens made a Problem report that will be solved soon (high priority):

FEMAP is incorrectly writing out the slide line contact for a 601 solution. The Nastran 7.0 QRG, page 1009, Remarks related to SOL 601, remark 6, says that contact for SOL 601 is defined using a BCTSET entry instead of the BCONP entry. The deck written by FEMAP 10.1.1 is lacking this entry.

As a work around the user may do the following:

Add this line to the bottom of the case control section, just before the begin bulk line:
BCSET = 100
Then add this line at the very bottom of the file just before the ENDDATA line:
BCTSET,100,2,1
This can be done via the edit preview functionality.

It cracks me up that for "legacy" reasons, Femap and/or Nastran are using 70's terms like "deck" to refer to a line in an FE input file!

It's 2010 people. Time to progress.

tg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back