Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to define two nodes with the same DOF?

Status
Not open for further replies.

richonlinedeal

Mechanical
Feb 8, 2007
US
Hello all,

I am doing some ANSYS modeling, and want to make two nodes have the same DOF. Could anyone advise what is the good to do it. Thanks a lot.

Jerry

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

A node simply defines a geometric point of an element. The DOF's a node has will depend on the element(s) which it is a part of. For instance a node shared between beam and solid elements is connected to one element with six DOFs and another with three DOFs.

What are you trying to do here? Why do you simply want to define a node? Your question seems a bit elementary and needs some more explaining.

-Brian

If I understand you correctly, you should be able to define constraint equations to do what you want using the CERIG command.

Thanks for all your help, and sorry I didn't make things clear enough.

Basically, I want to make the two nodes have same displacement. For example, if these node 1 & node 2 are on XY plane, I want them have only in-plane displacement (UZ=0), but move in opposite direction (expansion or shrinking).

Any more detailed clue will be greatly appreciated. Thanks all.

Jerry

As Pja mentioned constraint equation may help you.You can constrain all off nodes displacements in z direction & relating them to a consrained node(with zero displacement).try it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back