Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

How to denote the profile tolerance so that it controls everything? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

rollingcloud

Aerospace
Aug 9, 2022
US
I have this drawing done by someone else, I am trying to get an better understanding of the tolerances for the highlighted dims. The yellow surface is the datum C. I believe the intention of the drawing is to have a single profile tolerance controlling everything, which is why all dimensions are basic. However, is this the correct approach? My understanding of profile tolerance is that it stops at any radius change unless otherwise specified, either by locating segment points or using the all-around symbol. Therefore, in this case, the profile tolerance would only apply to the red surface. If this understanding is incorrect, how can I modify the profile tolerance callout so that it's connected to all the basic dimensions?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

That red surface is all it controls. Use the "ALL OVER" symbol (two concentric circles) on the bend/knee in the leader of the profile geometric control feature control frame.

There could be an "UNLESSS OTHERWISE SPECIFIED, ALL SURFACES..." general profile tolerance in the notes. The dimensions you are concerned about could be the true profile definition for that general profile tolerance.

Actually, it's not the entire red stuff. A stickler might say that it controls only the one red surface that is closest to the viewer in that view.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back