Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to design dipping line for Chemlok 205 coating on metal pieces 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mechanical
Dec 29, 2006
LK
Hi,

I am in need of support from an expert in the field of dipping painting for continuous production of metal pieces for the above mentioned design project.
I have been asked to design a dipping line for coating Chemlok 205 primer for a production process in our factory.
the primer is to be applied on cast iron metal pieces of approximate size : 300 mm length, 40 mm width, 10 mm thickness. the attached photo shows a sample metal piece.

the production requirement is app. 50000 metal pieces per day. currently we do this painting by spraying. but to redued the wastages we are willing to go for dipping. currently the metal pieces are hanged on monorail conveyors horizontally and are send to the spraying bins and ovens.

i wish to use the same monorail conveyor for the dipping line. but new ovens, dipping baths, hooks for holding metal pieces throughout the process are to be designed from scrach.

in this background I need your help on
1) finding web litrtature on dipping technology

2) easy and quick metal piece clamping systems for these kind of applications(automated or manual clamping methods)

3) special benifits from metal piece orientations at dipping

i am gladful for all who can help me in this

Thanks

in this back ground

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I would go to the Lord Corporation and get their expertise and know how on using a dipping line for Chemlok 205. They should have information on design and equipment vendors.

Have you checked to see if a dipping process will work with Chemlok 205?

I did an ecoat paint line back in the day, don't ask me to remember what everything was, but for the most part it wasn't bad.

The line itself was hand loaded onto a monorail system that ran through 2 wash stations, a rinse, phosphate rinse, rinse, DI/RO rinse, then dipped into the paint tank, then 2 permeate rinses, another DI/RO rinse, a section of monorail to allow drippage to fall, then through a curing oven, then cooling section of monorail.

the tank itself was just a large steel construction that was sandblasted and coated (can't remember with what), but it was a coating that wouldn't degrade from the negatively ionized paint. the outfeed end of the tank was designed as a holding tank for the permeate that sunk to the bottom as the paint was being used up. the pumping layout of this was pretty critical.

the tank was setup with rectifiers and anodes to turn the whole tank negatively charged, with the monorail & part hangers grounded to the paint tank using wire brushes as it passes by. the permeate rinse was required in this application to clean off impurities in the paint.

all i remember is getting a packet of the key's to dip-tank paint lines from PPG and running with it. that was nearly 10 years ago, so i'm a little fuzzy on the details. try talking with your paint supplier if they have information on existing process lines.

James Spisich
Design Engineer, CSWP

just a note that this was for a general paint shop that had basic racks to hand load and unload random parts from. just be aware of hanging so the parts can't have paint pool into a any areas. if you can't get that, it might not be the best application and spray will still be better.

James Spisich
Design Engineer, CSWP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back