Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

How to design the slab in slab-wall structure using ETABS results?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lixx

Structural
Dec 7, 2001
I have used shell element to model the floor slab in the structure and assigned automatic mesh options to it. I am quite satisfied with the overall outcome of the building. Now I am going to do the slab design. Since ETABS does not have the function of slab design, I want to export from ETABS a single storey in SAFE format and do slab design in SAFE.

My question is that since I have used shell element in overall analysis of the building, there exists stresses and forces in the slab under lateral loads, will these stresses and forces be considered in SAFE?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I encountered the same design problem as you have. It seems that the resultant stresses and forces in shell elements cannot be exported directly into SAFE for slab design. This is the major drawback in ETABS and SAFE compatibility.

I believe that CSI should had incorporated slab design in ETABS. However, they must had considered the marketing of SAFE in advance, therefore slab design was not included in ETABS.

Such limitation, in fact, poses a major problem when the slabs are to be design to resist lateral forces (ie, wind and seismic forces) as the resultant stresses cannot be exported to SAFE for slab design, and only gravitational loads can be conveniently defined in SAFE.

To account for the resultant moments and shears due to lateral forces, the horizontal applied force (ie momments and shears of vertical structural elements that resist lateral force) from dynamic / wind analysis must be transfered manually. That is really tedious and inefficient.

Lixx:

Please note that DYNAMIC analysis results can not be exported to SAFE since SAFE is not a dynamic analysis program. However, if you define Auto Lateral Loads in the Static Load Cases (Using one of the many codes supported by ETABS), those lateral analysis results will be considered in the slab or foundation design. Please try it.

Amadeus

Try using STAAD.foundation from REI. This has a good compatiability between their main 3D analysis program and slab on grade design. I also use ETABS and STAAD. I wish those two programs would talk to each other as well since each one has its good points on certain types of models.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back