Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to detect EM waves of wavelength above 10 exp +10 meters?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dapifo

Industrial
Jul 3, 2012
ES
EM waves have no theoretical limits in their wavelengths, so that waves may have wavelengths less than 10 exp 10 -35 meters (Planck length) and greater than 10 exp +26 meters (length Our Universe) .

If so, it would be possible to detect and record waves as small or as large?

Theoretically exist systems/technology for this?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

According to...
one (one!) photon with a wavelength of "1 Planck" carries the energy of about 3 tons of TNT. So to detect this type of EM radiation, retreat to your bunker and wait for a very loud bang outside.

The other end of the EM spectrum, that might take a while.. Might as well call it "DC". Yes you can detect steady magnetic fields if they're strong enough. No, if they fill the Universe then they're probably not strong enough.

Thanks for your clear answer...

I see that it is not easy...but also it is not impossible !!!

My idea is to evidence that could be other things (entities, universes,...) out of the limits of our known universe (between 10 exp 10-35 and 10 exp +26 meters).

One way to do it is detecting EM waves smaller and larger than this lenth, that will mean that has been emited by issuers of this dimensions...

If you thing it could be possible...and you are interested on it, I can send you an document explaing it...then you can review....to writte how we can do these experiments...and edit it with our names .. and looking for foundation....

No thanks, but good luck. Keep in mind that the speed of light still rules.

What do you mean with the speed of light?

If out there there are other universes, they could born before ours...then the light could began to run before and arive to our universe....

But do you think it has some sense?

Sorry for the delay; working...

The great thing about life in the modern era is that almost everything has already been explained somewhere on-line. For this question I recommend the following:

As this thread is now very much off-topic (vis à vis Eng Tips forum subject), be aware that this thread may be nuked without warning.

[b]As this thread is now very much off-topic (vis à vis Eng Tips forum subject), be aware that this thread may be nuked without warning.[/b]

What do you mean?

Do you think that following concepts are correct?:

EM Waves of wavelength of 10 exp +10, would be a frequency of 30 mHz (This is just a 30 second wave, nothing special actually,similar to the frequency of magnetic field line resonances in the Earth's magnetosphere).

They could be detected, messured and registred with a Multimeter attached to a strip chart recorder, and with a very good isolation from any sort of interference, which may involve going into interstellar space.

Eng-Tips is intended for "INTELLIGENT WORK FORUMS FOR ENGINEERING PROFESSIONALS" (top left corner). The 'Microwave & electromagnetic engineering' forum isn't intended for exploring the philosophical and technical implications of trying to detect alternate universes.

Your original question was interesting, but the thread is now very far off-topic for these forums. Eng-Tips management will delete threads that stray off-topic.

Search for: ELF reception sound card

In the millihertz region one would have to switch to a magnetic field detector. All that you'll detect is local noise and interference. Even the Voyager space probe (way out in ultra-quiet space) is reporting "local" conditions.

OK .. Thank you very much.
All this info and WEBs have been very usefull for me.

I understand that it is also an usefull "INTELLIGENT WORK FORUMS FOR ENGINEERING PROFESSIONALS" , although possibly not too practique for nowadys...but !!!

Shame that you are not interested in this topic, because your expertise would be very helpful for me.

Perhaps you could help me only to review and complete the article (10 pages) and give to me your opinion.

in the field of low noise oscillator design, one often has to measure phase noise or allen variance close to the carrier. Usually "close to the carrier" means 1 Hz or 10 Hz. Modern methods use a homodyne detector and multiple correlations, which gets rid of system noise.

Now, I am not sure you can do the 10^26 wavelength, but one way I would start investigating it would be multiple antennas receiving the signal, and correlation processing the data to remove random noise. The further apart the antennas were (I am thinking miles here) the better the correlation process might reject localized environmental noise.

Let us know how you make out.

Maguffin Microwave wireless design consulting

OK...thanks

1 Hz is near 10^9 meters wavelength.

Will see what happen with: "multiple antennas receiving the signal, and correlation processing the data to remove random noise"

Do you think that could be possible to detect and much higher wavelength?...without noise?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back