Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

how to determine gear width 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

msbharaj

Mechanical
Sep 5, 2002
US
While designing a spur gear transfer, I know how to calculate the gear parameters. But how to determine the thickness (crossection thickness) of the two gears, depending you know the material of the gears.
Can someone help me with this.
Thanks
Maninder

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I have had to do this by hand, but I recommend you go download this slick software. I have never been so productive since I started using this program.

It is free, accurate, and very easy to use.

You will need to get the "e-battery" - they send it immediately to your web address. It dies and you will need another one every 30 days.

jackboot

This depends on the load you need to transmit. The relationship between transmitted load and face width can be taken as pretty much linear, ie, double the face width, double the load. There are loads of pieces of software out there, but most good ones are quite pricey. If you have AGMA 908-B89 or BS 436 part 3 you can calculate the max pitting and bending stress, and alter the face width till you get the load required. There is no real rule, some people look at the ration of ref. dia. to face width ratio, but this is a rule of thumb, and not linked to the transmitted load. I think your best bet would be software.

Both these sights have great p[ieces of software.
You can download the demo for free, and that should give you enbough operation to enter your gear, loads, and play witht he facewidth.

What sort of loads are you transmitting, what size is the gear, and what material are you using?

Machinery's handbook, Shigley and Mischke, Norton or any good machine design book has the info and formulations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back