Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

How to determine number of alarm check valves?

Status
Not open for further replies.

scythe13

Mechanical
Jan 3, 2012
For a warehouse with the dimensions of 170mx117mx12m, a wet pipe sprinkler system must be provided. In NFPA-13, section 5-2 states maximum floor area for a storage to be protected by one sprinkler riser shall be 3716m2

So, in this warehouse at least 6 risers must be installed:
floor area: 170x117=19890m2, min no of risers=19890/3716=5.3~ 6

My question is how many "alarm check valves" this system requires?

Can I just select one 8" alarm check valves with say 8 risers for this system

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Altho, I have been out of this field for two decades,I know that NFPA 13 has changed and I believe has included wharehousing, so check that code out for exceptions. You seem to have hydraulically calculated sprinkler systems which each may have different requirement (due to commodities stored, pile heights, rack coverage) for water demand, residual pressure, water density, and number of sprinkler heads, and if the case you'll need the eight sprinkler alarm check valves for this gigantic warehouse.
You can also contact your property insurance carrier for advice.

yes, all of them are wet systems

so, if the system requires say 8 alarm check valves, it also needs 8 fire department connection?

And one more question, since each alarm check valve supplies just one zone, can I choose just one "zone control valve assembly of 8" "?
Therefore, the system includes 8 alarm check valves, 8 zone control valves and 8 fire department connections

many thanks for your time

Therefore, the system includes 8 alarm check valves, 8 zone control valves and 8 fire department connections.

Correct except you only need one FDC, assuming all 8 risers are feed by the same water supply.

Fire Sprinklers Save Firefighters’ Lives Too!

Depends on how you do the underground

Depends if you want all the risers in one place

Depends is there a fire pump involved

Depends

To many variables and can be laid out in different ways

Each zone needs to be able to be isolated from another. Each zone needs to have alarm devices. A single FDC can serve all 8 zones if you lay it out from one manifold.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back