Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to determine the EFFECTIVE PROJECTED AREA (EPA) of a lighting pole

Status
Not open for further replies.

SilverBeam75

Structural
Mar 3, 2010
CA
Hi,

I have an aluminium pole section (4x4x0.25) 24ft high with a 12" cantilevar fixture that will hold the lighting. I need to find the maximum EFFECTIVE PROJECTED AREA (EPA). Do I need to find the the maximum EPA versus the strenght of my pole or is it a limitation of displacement of the pole. If the horizontal limitation is L/50 and the vertical is L/100, do I only need to find the EPA not exceeding this displacements ?

It is not clear for me how the design should be done...

Anyone has experience with pole design ?

thank you,

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If you go to the manufacturer's catalogue, they should give this. I've done a number of poles and I could always find it. If the manufacturer doesn't provide it, reply and I'll look in our sparky's catalogues. Note that in a pinch, you can assume that a pole is a pole and one manufacturer has the same value as another for a 25 ft tall 4 x 4 x .25 pole.

Hello JedClampett,

I want to know how you calculate it, what is the design philosophy. I'm in a learning/design process. Let say you are hired by a manufacturer to analyse and determine the EPA of his 5x5x0.25 pole. How will you design it ?

I'm not sure whether deflection or stress controls. If it's stress, I suspect that the anchorage controls. I know that the EPA reduces as the wind increases which makes sense. They might perform testing for all I know.
I'm also unsure how they assume the EPA is distributed, whether it's all at the top of the pole or patterned somehow.
I don't know where this question is coming from. If you worked for a company that provides light poles, I'm sure they have standards that they design to. It's unlikely that they would leave it up to someone to figure out.

I have been working with mobile telecomunications antennas which consist of vertical tubular poles from 4m to 8 m installed on the rooftops of buildings.
I don't know if this can help but we calculate the EPA first as a function of the section dimensions of the pole.Then we check the displacement which shouldn't surpass the criterias given by the technical functionaliy datas of the cell antennas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back