Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to develop a PM for Injection Molds 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Yes.

Regards

eng-tips, by professional engineers for professional engineers
Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips Fora.

Thank you for your reply.
yes I am looking at Mold PM based on cycle (complexity of molds) and steps to take during PM (what will be the best check list for diferent type of molds)
In a lean environment with time pressure (Automotive) we need to establish an efficient PM.

A quick check to determine what should be on the list is to establish the part defects that can be attributed to the mold. Those PMs should be high on your list. I recently had a client "learn" that their cooling channels are completely fouled with calcium deposits, and have been for some time... so I would recommend adding that to your list. For your lean environment, consider quick-change molds, (surely they must exist). Consult an expert in SMEDI (single minute exchange of dies), if this is out of your comfort zone. Creativity with this can keep your machines up and running.

Aaron A. Spearin
ASQ CSSBB
Engineering Six-S'$

"The only constant in life is change." -Bruce Lee

Sorry about my signiture. Missed the ending. But you need to start looking through your records for each part looking for defects. Looking for the cycles made before defects start appearing. Set your PM cycles for 10% less then then amount.
A typical PM consists of the following:
1: Open mold and visible check for anty physical damage to cavities,parting lines or shut-off area.
2: Conduct check for flashed plastic in cavities, screw holes, interlocks, ejector system, etc.
3: Inspect parting line vents for residue and any evidance indicating improper operation.
4: Check for loose or disconnected electrical wiring.
5: Check for missing or damaged external mold components, insultation plates, water and electrical plaques, ejector housing guards, etc.
6: Begin disassembly and evaluate general mold conditions. Inspect ejector system, springs, bushings, leader pins, slides, etc.
7: Inpect water lines, water channels, baffles and bubblers for scale build-up or corrosion. (Boil out as needed)
8: Record all findings on "Mold Evaluation Report"

Robert Anderson

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back