Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to duplicate Saab coil ionization signal without engine?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MKhan01

Automotive
Dec 1, 2010
US
Hello everyone, currently working on a Saab direct ignition cassette. There are no difficulties to get it to fire, but I cannot duplicate the ionization signal or knock signal(obviously I cannot do both without a engine). Is their a way to duplicate the ionization current and feed it through the spark plug? For example what if I fire another coil into the spark plug, would that work?

Basically I need to duplicate the ionization current going through the spark when it's not firing.

Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

At some point in the system, these signals will exist as an analog voltage of reasonable amplitude - probably at the output of a sensor.
[ul] [li] Examine and/or capture the signal with an oscilliscope.[/li][/ul]
[ul] [li] Program a aribirary waveform generator to reproduce it upon a demand (input trigger).[/li][/ul]

MikeHalloran - That is a good idea, but it's a cassette with non separable coils(4).

Comcokid - This is correct, but I need to confirm the cassette is receiving and analyzing the signal from the spark plug. Eliminting the cassettes output, wouldn't help me determine if the cassette is doing it's job or not. We did capture waveforms from a vehicle and tried to reload it into a function generator, which worked. But in the end I'm just basically tricking the ecu.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back