Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

How to duplicate thread tables in Machinery's Handbook 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

someonesdad

Computer
Dec 17, 2004
US
I am writing a program that I would like to have duplicate the basic toleranced thread dimensions in Machinery's Handbook (pg. 1276, 19th ed. or pg. 1736, 27th ed.). The book states "... are derived from certain Unified formulas (not shown here) in which the pitch diameter tolerances are based on increments of the basic major (nominal) diameter, the pitch, and the length of engagement." They state they use 1.5*Diam for the length of engagement.

My question is whether anyone can provide these equations. Or, if it's recommended that I purchase an ANSI or ASME standard, that's OK too -- I'd appreciate a reference to the appropriate standard.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

For inch fasteners the formulas for design and tolerance are in ASME B1.1, and for metric designs they are in ASME B1.13M. Those are the source documents for the thread standards, so I would recomend using them.

You're better off getting the ASME spec like Screwman pointed out. The MIL spec is for UNJ series. It does contain equations for threads but there are some that are referenced to ASME B1.1

Excellent! israelkk, thanks for the URL -- it looks like a great place to search for federally-related specs in the future. The federal ones on threads I downloaded and looked at seemed mostly to reference the source ASME documents. Thus, I think I'll take Screwman's and FredGarvin's advice and try to get my hands on the ASME standards.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back