Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How To E-Stop A Powerflex Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

lowdere

Electrical
Feb 23, 2006
US

I'm working on a vfd estop application for the first time. I have a belt conveyor driven by a Powerflex 700. Lanyards on the conveyor are for estop.

I'm having trouble understanding exactly what dictates requirements for an estop. Is it acceptable to simply turn off the Enable control signal to the drive, ... or must I install a contactor between the drive and the motor with some sort of relay management module to disconnect the drive safely?

Whatever the answer is... what code dictates my requirements? I have been digging through MSHA, NFPA, and NEC for something, but I have done nothing more than confuse myself.

Thanks,
Eric

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I'm not 100% sure on what the advice should be for a Cat1 situation. I've just been wading through our company advise on Safety Systems (Siemens) and found a useful book (although a fair sized download) on the subject. If it is of use:then in the Self-Help area box under 'Product Name or Part number'copy and paste this part number: 6ZB5000-0AA02-0BA1.
This will take you to the page where the Siemens Safety Systems manual can be downloaded (22MB I'm afraid). Of course it's only Siemens products but included is a wealth of technical detail that explains fully most areas of safety and what you should do.
Hope this helps!

I copy the following from the PF 70 manual.

"Safe Off Option, the first offering available within the DriveGuard™ series of safety solutions, prevents a drive from delivering rotational energy to motors by integrating a safety circuit with the drive’s power switching signals. This solution meets EN 954-1, Category 3."

The only difference between what I am doing and this is that I am using a seperate safety relay to break the power to the SCR's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back