Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

how to edit Arc length in drafting enviorment 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gokulkrishna

Mechanical
May 30, 2013
HK
Hi,

In drafting enviornment, once a line is drawn and dimensioned its length can be changed by double clicking and then entering the required length. But the same is not happening while drawing a arc.

THanx

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

1) What version of NX are we talking about ?
2) Do you want to set the length of the arc ???
- In NX8.5, use the command Finder under Help, then search for "Curve Length". Then RMB for options if this is something you do frequently.

Regards,
Tomas

I assume that you're creating these curves on your Drawing as Sketch curves, correct? And that you're then adding dimensions, correct?

Well the dimensions, since this is a 'sketch', are driving dimensions (AKA dimensional constraints), at least the linear and radial ones are. However, the 'Arc Length' dimension is NOT driving-dimension and therefore it's not a constraint (at least not at the moment). However, you can assign a 'Parimeter Dimension' which, while it will NOT actually create a 'dimension' on your Drawing, it will create an expression which you can then edit to change the 'arc length' of the arc. And if you had added an 'Arc Length' non-driving dimension to your drawing, it will update to read the same as the edited value of the 'Perimeter Length' of the arc.

Anyway, give that a shot and see if this will meeting your requirements.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Engineering Software
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Hi,

I'm using NX8.5 and both the ways are working fine.

John : After using the perimeter dimension, when I go to tools the expressions option is greyed out. So I had to right click on the curve and select Remove all Constrains. Is this the correct way?

Thank you!!

In order for the Expression editor to be accessible while in Drafting, you need to go to...

Customer Defaults -> Drafting -> Drawing -> General

...and toggle ON the last item on the page, 'Allow Expressions'. Now hit OK and restart NX and you'll now be able to use the workflow I described.

And NO, that NOT how it's supposed to work (removing constraints).

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Engineering Software
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back