Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

How to edit surface

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Unfortunately, no. That would be too easy.

All editing of surfaces must be done using the sundry options available under the "Terrain" pulldown menu, or through the Terrain Model Explorer.

What/how do you need to edit the surface? I may be able to help point you to the correct tools.

Oops - sorry. I failed to notice that you are a Mechanical engineer, and gave instructions for the Land Desktop software that Civ-E's use. I probably can't help much.

Open the dwg file with Rhinoceros, hack away at it, and save it as a dwg file. Rhino can do all that you would logically expect AutoCAD to do with surfaces, and more.

Better, open a _copy_ of just the parts you want to change, and edit that. Rhino may not preserve some AutoCAD entities.

It may be necessary to add one linear dimesion in Rhino to avoid a scaling error.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

I am working on a surface which a 3D curve revolves along another straight line, and I want cut this surface with a plane to see the intersection.
But solid can not do the job.

If the curve is planar, you can add radials to the axis at its ends, turn it into a closed polyline, and revolve it to produce a solid of revolution, which you can slice at will.

Before you start, set the variable DELOBJ to 0 to retain primitives along the way.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Can you create that 3D surface with solid commands then use shell command to create that same 3D surface with a thin wall; then you probably can slice it with a plane.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back