How to either 1. turn off ActiveX restriction or 2. choose firefox 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

abeschneider

Mechanical
Sep 25, 2003
US
Everytime I launch help from within NX, my Internet Explorer complains:

"To help protect your security, Internet Explorer has restricted this webpage from running scripts or ActiveX controls that could access your computer. Click here for options..."

I have to manually allow the content each time I want to use the help documentation, which is very annoying. I tried to add the url for the docs to IE's trusted sites, but it complains that there is bad syntax.

Is there a way to eliminate these error msgs? Alternatively, how can one set Firefox to be the default browser instead of Internet Explorer within NX?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I had the same issue.
IE > Tools > Internet Options > Advanced tab.

Almost all the way to the bottom under "Security" heading:

Toggle on: "Allow active content to run in files on My Computer"

KRK

Any ideas on how to select an alternate browser in Windows? I played with the environment variable but haven't gotten anything to work. Still uses IE for the browser.

Abe,

Just to be completely clear, are you inquiring about the browser used OUTSIDE of NX (like for CAST or Docs) or within NX on the Resource bar?

I'm assuming something stopped working when a new browser was installed? Could you provide some more detail as to why you're wanting to switch browsers just so we're both on the same page?

Tim Flater
Senior Designer
Enkei America, Inc.

Some people are like slinkies....they don't really have a purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Nothing stopped working; I want to figure out a way to have CAST & Docs use Firefox (or Opera). I don't necesarily mind what the browser is INSIDE of NX.

Mainly, I already use Firefox for all my browsing so it'd be nice if, when I launch CAST or Docs, it just opens a new tab in the firefox session.

Abe,

Let me do some research on this before offering blind suggestions. I have CAST installed, but do not use it very often and I don't have any problems using IE, so I'm having a little bit of a problem finding information on changing default browsers (other than Netscape).

After I typed the above, I had a couple of ideas. First, was the environment variable you were playing with in the castonly.bat file? There are some variables in there that are setup for initial use with IE....that might be one thing to look at.

Also, could you double check Firefox's settings under Options to see if it's listed as your default browser? If it isn't, make it the default browser and see if that does the trick. If not, I'll post back tomorrow if I find any further info that might be of some help to you.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help at this point and thanks for your patience.

Tim Flater
Senior Designer
Enkei America, Inc.

Some people are like slinkies....they don't really have a purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Firefox is default browser.

So I just tried modifying castonly.bat by remarking out the line "set UGII_CAST_BROWSER=IE2" and replacing with:
"set UGII_CAST_BROWSER=C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe"

This worked to cause CAST to launch firefox, but somehow the directory handling is messed up; I get the error msg: "Firefox can't find the file at /C:/Program."

I then tried modifying castenv.bat, replacing all spaces with "%20"; at this point it gave me: "Firefox can't find the file at /C:/Program0Files\UGS\NX05.0\nxcast\html"

I'm changing the environment variable back. Not that big of a deal.

abe,

Try changing the variable to:

set UGII_CAST_BROWSER=C:\Progra~1\Mozill~1\firefox.exe

Tim Flater
Senior Designer
Enkei America, Inc.

tim,
the problem isn't getting firefox to launch, its that the url (ie the settings in castenv.bat) aren't being read properly by firefox.

So, the
UGII_CAST_BROWSER=C:\Progra~1\Mozill~1\firefox.exe
works to launch ff, as does
UGII_CAST_BROWSER=C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
but neither results in the URLs in castenv.bat, ie:
UGII_CAST_HTML_URL=C:\Program Files\UGS\NX 5.0\nxcast\html\index.html
being read correctly.

Have you tried putting quote marks around the paths in castenv.bat, specifically the ones Firefox is having issues with?

UGII_CAST_HTML_URL="C:\Program Files\UGS\NX 5.0\nxcast\html\index.html"

Tim Flater
Senior Designer
Enkei America, Inc.

Not sure what's going on with this Abe....

I'd suggest calling GTAC if you can't figure it out. Sorry I couldn't be of more help. I'm not very familiar with FF, so I was in over my head from the start.

Tim Flater
Senior Designer
Enkei America, Inc.

Tim,
Thanks for your suggestions. It's not really a big deal but I thought it would be nice (and apparently NX uses mozilla on linux so I thought, why not on windows?)

Abe,

This was peeving me off so much I called GTAC.

As far as the docs go, here's what they sent me:
[start]
Making Firefox Your Default Browser

Firefox displays web pages on the Internet and on your computer. To easily open web pages, you can make Firefox your default browser.

To make Firefox your default web browser, select Tools > Options Edit > Preferences Firefox > Preferences and click the Check Now button in the General panel.

To set another browser as the default for UGDOCs: Set UGII_HTML_BROWSER=the path to the browser executable
[end]

UGII_HTML_BROWSER should be set in your ugii_env.dat file or equivalent if you're using a custom NX startup like I am. If you're using a custom environment, you would add it to your customized blahblah.dat file. Clear as mud?

That SHOULD take care of the NX Docs portion. GTAC is supposed to call me back with more info for CAST.

Tim Flater
Senior Designer
Enkei America, Inc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back