Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to enter Pressure field in Patran?

Status
Not open for further replies.

huiying

Mechanical
Apr 28, 2003
SG
Hi,
I have a dataset of more than 10,000 pressure pts in X,Y and Z coord. And I need to input this pressure field as loadings. However, these pressure pts might not coincide with my meshing (node pts or element surface).
Is this possible? What is the best way to do this?

Regards.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi, I suggest to describe the pressure as a field
and at b/c creat a load by using this field.
If you have aproblem please send me more information about the pressure and I describe with much more detail this
proccedure.
shlr

Hi shlr,
Thanks for your reply. I am unable to describe the pressure as a field because it doesn't follow an equation. All I have is a dataset with over 10,000 pts. This data is actually from a CFD result with corresponds to CFD mesh which does not coincide with the FE mesh.

Regards.
Merry Christmas & Happy New Year!

Hi huiying,
I understand now. The answer is not so complicate.
step a) at your CFD software you have to create a field
that include the 10e4 grid vs. pressure.
step b) open a new file and import your FE (structure).
In addition to that but at a new group import the CFD
file that include the field of pressure.
note: the geometric position mudt lay at the same position
even the mesh / elements are differt.
step c) create a new field based of the CFD field
and project it on your FE structural model.
I think that it will help you
shlr

Hi shlr,
Thanks for the advice... but I don't quite understand how to perform the part c). How do I create a field base on the CFD field?

Regards.

Hi huiying
Before I describe in more detail let me know what kind of software you are using as a structural . If you are using the PATRAN software than the problem will be solved .
I will describe with more detail step "c". So be sure that you have (after step "b") two groups: one group that include the CFD model with its discret field and in addition to that the second group that include your large structural model.Both model (even if they are differ) must be allocated in the same geometric place.
regared
shlr

Hi shlr,
Yes, I'm using PATRAN s/w. I have also placed the CFD (what is the discrete field?) and structural model in 2 grps. They are both in the same geometric place.

Thanks & Regards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back