Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

how to estimate swelling pressure

Status
Not open for further replies.

ohyeh

Geotechnical
Sep 26, 2007
US
I am dealing with expansive soils now.

If I only have testing results on natural moisture content, Atterberg Limits, and Clay fractions from disturbed soil samples collected from test pits, is there a way to figure out soil swelling pressure and amount of heave?

Any help will be appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I think you cannot quanitfy swelling pressure or amount of heave with those tests. Atterberg limits is a gneral indicator of whether heaving would be an issue or not. For quanitification, you may want to do one of the following tests: ASTM D4829 (Expansion Index) , ASTM D4546 (Swell Potential).

Some textbooks provide empirical equations using basic indice values to predict Cc values for preliminary designs/estimates. I pulled an old university textbook off the self ... Holtz and Kovacs - 'Intro to Geotechnical Engineering' and found a number of formuli. I also found a chart in the same book providing a range of expansion. Personally, I wouldn't put a lot of stock in these other than to get a cursory idea of what I might be dealing with.

What are the limits and -#200 out of curiosity?

I would not want to guess that pressure to hang my license on. The soil could swell 0.1% to over 25%, it might not. If it does, you can get swell pressures that could range from 2,000 psf to 35,000 psf+.

You need an "undisturbed" sample to run tests on. This assumes it is the standard of practice for your area, if it is not, then you likely do not have a true expansive soil problem.

ASCE tried to put together a terrible publication for expansive soils. Having worked in VA, the standard practice was to run limits at 2.5 feet. In CO, I have drilled 35 to 45 feet for proper pier design.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back