Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

How to Explain Being Fired to Future Employers 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

lilkane3np

Chemical
Jan 25, 2009
US
Ok I'm going to try to explain this as concise as possible, but still cover the basis.
I was recently fired for my job, here is, in brief, what happened. I was a production engineer, as such I was responsible for keeping up with production for my shift ( i.e. keeping up with cycle times, troubleshooting production issues, assisting the supervisor with monitoring shift operators, etc, etc. On the night in question we had two troublesome systems. One was a spray dryer, which had constantly been giving problems, and the other involved the production of a thickening agent. The spray dryer was at such a state that it required constant monitoring. As there was no "spray dryer operator" this was my responsibility as well. In the process of focusing my attentions on getting the spray dryer up and running, I instructed my operators on what they needed to do to keep the other troublesome system moving. Well after I was able to get the spray dryer up and reliably running (~2 hrs later), I find out that my operators had not done what I instructed them to do, resulting in a lot of downtime on that system. Keep in mind during this whole ordeal ( which in total was about 4hrs), I had no idea where the supervisor was. Im pretty sure he was somewhere sleep (this happened on graveyard shift).
So long story short, there as a big deal on the amount of downtime incurred on the shift, although no one actually asked me any questions as to what happened or why so much downtime occured. Then a week later I am told I was being fired. Prior to this I had had no serious incidents or downtime on my shift.
The question is, how do I go about presenting this to future potential employers. I know as soon as they see or hear "fired" many immediately will throw the red flag and I won't make it past that point. I know it is in bad taste to talk bad about a previous employer as well... So what do I do? How would you word it. I have both of previous direct bosses ( the unit manager and assistant unit manager) who are willing to provide excellent references for me to attest that I was an excellent employee.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Your post sounds fine to me. Go with the truth. If they don't like it, then move on.

Mike McCann
MMC Engineering
Motto: KISS
Motivation: Don't ask

Do not use the word fired - say laid off. Surely the references will more than explain.

In the interview (you will get one) explain as above, but ensuring that the previous company is not bagged.

Now of course - people do not get fired for a single incident. I am not making any accusations, but this is the assumption that will be made by the hiring company. Have you got that one covered?

'We mutually came to an agreement, and I left.'

'The department downsized, and I was part of the reduction.'

Try to keep the story brief and innocuous. Don't lambast the previous company or boss. It reflects badly on you.

Thanks for all the good suggestions. As far as previous incidents, the only other happened while I was still training. I was listening to the shift supervisor ( 15+ yrs experience at the plant). Ultimately we found out that both manual and automatic valves were leaking by causing part of the batch to be sent to the waste tank.

Did they tell you a reason when they fired you?

Regarding "laid off", I remember back when that meant "we have no work for you but we'll call you back when we do". Now it means "fired but not for cause".

Hg

Eng-Tips policies: faq731-376

In these troubled times being laid off is not unusual.

From what you have written it's not clear if you were laid off due to the described incident.

There is no reason to speculate in a negative manner why you were laid off during your interview with a potential employer. I'm sure you could think of better reasons why you might have lost your job.

It might be worth a call to your former HR rep to find out the reason why you were let go. The last place that I was laid off from gave me 2 weeks notice (I was very thankful). I went in the following day and asked my supervisor (who gave me the notice) as to what were the determining factors. That took out any speculation as to why they did it. They may not have been truthful but at least it put my mind at ease.

"Failure to rebuild _and_ operate a spray dryer _and_ supervise operators up and down the line" ... makes it sound like you failed by not being able to do three jobs simultaneously, which appears to be the case.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

In that case, IF it comes up, just explain that you were in a no win situation, but that you have learnt something from the experience.

Wow, that sounds like a horrible company or horrible management.

Usually when there is a problem in production the proper response is to get the most senior people on the job to solve the problem.

How long were you at this company and just for my knowledge what part of the world is it in....so I can avoid it.

this message has been approved for citizen to elect kepharda 2008

I was only there a year and a half. And horrible company is an understatement.. As much as I would love to call them out, i'll just say its located along coastal South Carolina...

thanks lilk,

S. Carolina is a long way from me so I shouldn't have to run across them.

If you are being completely honest about the situation, then no way does this one incident get you canned.

Like the others have posted, evaluate the situations that didn't turn out well at this job and try not to make the same mistakes twice.

One thing that really seems to trip up Engineers is their lack of social skills, basically we all know you don't need to be friends to get the work done, but it helps to make friends with the right people to keep your job.

A lot of plants are informally run by the "good ole' boy network" and they will save themselves long before they do what is right.

this message has been approved for citizen to elect kepharda 2008

I appreciate all the advice. I have been 100% transparent with all my faults, and I know that sounds unbelievable and unreasonable, but it is the truth. I know for certain my references from the job will validate that, the problem now will be getting to that point. As many of you have expressed, it doesnt make sense that one mistake would lead to firing someone and so surely there had to be something more. In this case, however, that's all it took. Thanks again for the suggestions, I will put them into action as I try to move past this life altering situation. I am a young engineer, I graduated in 2007, so hopefully this won't haunt me for long.

What if you said " I am a victim of these harsh economic times.". And then let them assume business was bad where you worked. It may even partly explain why you got terminated for a seemingly explainable downtime.

"If you are going to walk on thin ice, you might as well dance!"

Seeing that someone had been fired would certainly ring alarm bells when I am looking to hire. However in the UK there are strict procedures to follow to fire someone, a series of verbal and written warnings. So anyone who is fired over here has been acting inappropriately over a period of time. Is being fired seen as such a bad thing in a country where you can seemingly fire someone for no good reason?

Again I can only speak about the UK but there is a big difference between being fired and being made redundant, totally different procedures to follow and rules to obey. To lie on a CV about why you left your last job as some suggest would be reason enough to terminate a contract, so is not a very smart thing to do.

ajack,

Most employment in the US is an "at will" state. Meaning the company or I can terminate my employment at any time or for any reason (Yes I am aware that there are antidiscrimination laws).

At all of my jobs I've signed documents that say exactly that. Granted with all of the lawyers out there the company will usually heavily document why anyone was let go to CYA in the event of a discrimination lawsuit.

As a manager, I would definitely ask, as I'm certain HR would too, why you were fired. Once I heard the answer I would judge for myself what could/should have been done and may go so far as to ask what you've learned from that experience. If you're transparent and positive with your answers it would not deter me from hiring you.

I would not resort to terms like "laid-off" or "downsized" as these generally have very specific meanings as was mentioned in an earlier post. I would use "terminated" but not "fired". A hiring company will call the old company and find out their side of the story so it's best not to sugar coat but rather focus on an explanation.

Good luck.

Regards,
Qshake
[pipe]
Eng-Tips Forums:Real Solutions for Real Problems Really Quick.

One of my jobs someone did ask the HR what they would say if used in a reference. The HR guy said they would only say the person worked for said company and nothing else. I would ask the HR what they say.

I was used as a reference for some people looking for new jobs and always said my current company would be losing out big time on that person. I now their strong and weak points and had no idea I was being used a reference. But seriously anyone you worked with that you would use as a reference will not bad mouth you. I would just say you were let go. How many hiring people will ask why during this time period?????

Plus showing your portfolio and what you can and know how to do will offset your past job quite a bit.

Civil Development Group, LLC
Los Angeles Civil Engineering specializing in Hillside Grading

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back