Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to extract Stiffness matrix(s) for Non-linear FE Dynamic Implicit case in ABAQUS

Status
Not open for further replies.

adas_11

Electrical
May 21, 2019
IN
Hi,

I am studying the behavior of a soft robotic manipulator with elastomer material like rubber which has nonlinear material behavior.
For solving a nonlinear FE case with 'Nlgeom' ON in ABAQUS, the Stiffness matrix and external load vector are updated at each iteration by the relation. [K(x)]x = F_ext(x). how do I extract the Stiffness Matrix at each time step?

Regards,

Apurba

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

As discussed in the previous posts, it does not seem to be possible, as it only outputs for linear perturbation analysis which can include initial stresses/stiffness effects, but that is not the same as obtaining the FE matrices from a full nonlinear analysis using a NR iterative solution

I don’t think it’s possible (at least without some kind of subroutine). That’s because *Matrix generate keyword will only give you the stiffness matrix from the end of the step.

Well it might be sort of possible if you have run your general nonlinear analysis up to the point to where you want to extract your FE matrices, and then input that last step/iteration as an initial condition to a linear perturbation analysis where you can output them (so one should get the correct stiffness matrix which was generated in the last increment of the NR iterations prior to the linear perturbation, because that will be used in the pert. analysis, not sure about other vectors).

Try it out on a simple model

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back